The Midlands Orthodontic Specialists in Birmingham
FREE 3D scan (rrp. £330) plus FREE retainers (rrp.£300) and 20% OFF Teeth Whitening with all orthodontic treatments.
Functional appliances are a type of
brace used to correct overbites,
where the upper and lower teeth
They are removable, usually in two parts, and move the top and bottom teeth at the same time, using the muscles of the face and jaws to improve the way that the teeth bite together.
This option is usually used to treat children and teenagers whose jaws are developing and it is believed that the treatment is most effective between the ages of 10 and 14. It is a common misconception that using functionals to reposition the jaw causes it to grow significantly — it doesn’t. There can be some changes to growth but these are generally small.
Why choose One
- More than 10,000 cases completed
- Specialist orthodontists have extra training and experience
- More choice with our full range of systems
- Private treatment = no waiting lists
- Pay as you go
- Free onsite parking
- Open 6 days a week
- Trusted by 200 referral dental practices across the Midlands
What To Expect
Your child may experience some pain or discomfort for
three to five days after their braces are adjusted.
Their speech may be affected initially but this should
only be temporary and a little practice on difficult
words should help their mouths adjust. The amount of
time your child will be required to wear the brace
every day will be advised by their specialist orthodontist.
They will need to avoid sweets and fizzy drinks and
brush their teeth and the appliance frequently.
Learn about our patient journey
Pros of functional
- Can be very effective
- In some cases they can be removed for eating and cleaning
- Treatment can begin earlier than with fixed appliances as there is no need to wait for teeth to fall out
- Can be part of an integrated plan which moves on seamlessly into treatment with a fixed appliance
‘It’s definitely helped my confidence.
I don’t mind smiling normally
instead of having to smile awkwardly
with my mouth closed.’
‘I wasn’t going to see anybody other
than Rob…I’d seen enough
orthodontists…the minute I walked in
I liked him.’
‘I know I can ask him
anything… I always feel very
comfortable coming and I enjoy
‘The maximum amount of time was
2 hours and then I could just come here
straight away, so within the day of breaking
my brace I could get it fixed.’
‘He listened to what it was
exactly I wanted. What was best
for me as well.’
Meet our specialist
Dr Rob Slater
GDC No. 65931
BDS FDSRCS MOrthRCS MSc, Specialist in Orthodontics
- Pioneering founder and former chairman of the British Lingual Orthodontic Society
- Worked as an examiner, trainer, noted publisher and international lecturer
- Began his career as a dental technician, creating orthodontic appliances